Thursday, May 29, 2008

Wario Land II: The Final Post

Hooray, I have the internet again! I can now update my freaking blog.

Anyway, so I finally beat Wario Land II 100%. I wasn't sure if I was going to do it, since at first I didn't really like the game. My biggest complaint remains: on your first playthrough, you are limited to whatever "story" path you chose. If you could pick the level (like every other Wario Land besides the Virtual Boy one), this game might be better than the original Wario Land (but still not quite as good as 3).

There were some very, very annoying bosses in this game, however. For me, the only tough one in Wario Land 3 was the soccer bunny. Wario Land 1 had some stupid boss fights as well, though. In general, it seems like I don't really like most of the boss fights in the Wario series - its too easy to fuck up and have to restart the battle. Perhaps that could be avoided if any hits you land on a boss are kept even if you leave the room, but that kinda goes against the nature of Wario Land II (if you get hit, you don't die). Perhaps the game would be too easy, then.

Well, it'd be a lot less annoying.

The minigames still suck, and I don't like how the amount of coins you have when you beat the game doesn't affect the ending at all. In fact, the only thing coins are used for is for paying for the minigames, like in Wario Land 3. Somewhat disappointing, I guess. I played some Wario Land 1 last night, and I think it's version of getting treasure (or Wario Land 3) is still the best - you play a level, find a key, and bring the key to the chest. You don't have to play any stupid minigames to get the treasure.

Overall, I think my list from this post remains intact: Wario Land II isn't quite as good as 1 or 3, but it's damn close - meaning it's a great game. Playing through all these Wario Land games makes me somewhat sad, though. The DS Wario was terrible, and I doubt they'll attempt to make a traditional Wario Land game again. I mean, I like Warioware (somewhat), but there really isn't much out there like the first three Wario Land games. C'mon, Nintendo, make another one. Please?

(Click here for my first Wario Land 2 post) (Post 2) (Post 3) (Post 4)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well now that you're done with those, you can get the Wii Wario game that will eventually be out, even though I have absolutely no idea what it's about or what the gameplay is.

I beat Chibi-robo a few days ago, and it was quite interesting, and I highly recommend you finish playing through it. I could not believe the story elements Nintendo put in the game, just like things not for kids. It's funny, it's sad, it's bizzare... not something you'd expect from the game.

I have found almost all of the stickers, and will get more soon if I play it any more (too tedious at the moment), but will not be completing it 100% because the stupid flying/shooting game is impossible. So I'll have all the stickers except that one.