Friday, May 23, 2008

Wario Land 2: "Endgame" Part I

So I picked up Wario Land II again, and the "endgame" continues to be amazing. Now that I can pick and choose levels, I can avoid levels I hate and only play fun ones. I've also noticed, since playing these new levels, that I seem to have chosen the path with the most annoying levels possible. Granted, if I want to get all the treasures (which, at this point, I would like to), I'll have to replay many of them. Oh well. The only levels that I really dislike are the ones in which there are invisible blocks and I have to either hit a light switch to see them (which usually makes other blocks invisible) or the ones with extremely annoying boss fights.

The path I am playing through now involves Wario needing to retake his castle after it had been invaded since the alarm clock (thrown in his castle by Captain Syrup at the beginning of the game) didn't wake him up. I think this is an awesome path, probably because it completely ignores the "story" of the rest of the game and imparts its own little "tale." I have but two more levels of it to go, and I am really enjoying it thus far.

I've seen a couple of the other "story branches," and they are somewhat interesting, but since I hadn't played the level previous to it in the "story" I don't remember how dramatic of a change is involved. The levels I've played so far are pretty good, though.

(I keep putting words like "story" and "tale" and "story branches" in quotes because the "story" to Wario Land II is pretty damn ridiculous and I feel stupid calling it a "story.")

Oh! And I've discovered how to deal with the annoying slug fuckers. Rather than continue to fight them, you wait until they are done freaking the fuck out, and then you can just walk up to them and charge into them, with no problem. What I kept doing was trying to keep attacking them, and if you keep doing it without pause, they keep freaking the fuck out, which means you can't kill them and you lose a fuckton of coins.

So it appears as though I will be attempting to beat Wario Land II as I play through Shadowrun. When Kirby's Dreamland 2 comes in the mail (probably any day now), that will probably be added to my "now playing" queue. Shadowrun is my top priority right now, though, so I will be finishing that eventually, but if I need a break I'll probably play something else. And when Kirby does come, I'll probably be fascinated with that for a day. Good ol' A.D.D.

(Click here for my first Wario Land 2 post) (Post 2) (Post 3)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice that you're going through all those Wario games. Just started reading your blog again, moved up to cmu for the summer.

Went to Walmart today for apartment stuff, and just had to check the games, couldn't help it. They had a clearance, and I couldn't pass up Odama for $10 new (originally $50, $40 off lol), even if it's not that good of a game (so I've heard).

You remember those DS packages with a game (Elite Beat Agents, Starfox Command, etc.), sleeve, and three styluses for $30? Well they had a sale going on with each going for $15 now...if they go down to $10, i'll probably get one.

Nate said...

Odama, eh? 10 bucks is a pretty good deal, especially new, because I paid like $20ish. Nice.

I ended up picking up Starfox Command in one of those deals and ended up somewhat enjoying it. I've passed up Elite Beat Agents a few times now as well - if it went down to ten bucks I'd get it in a heartbeat.

Also, it looks like I'll be getting Mario Kart Wii fairly quick - a coworker of mine didn't like it and is going to sell it to me for $35. I figure that's not bad and I have like no money these days, so I kinda have to do it. That won't happen until Friday at least, though, when I get paid again.

Anyway, I'll let you know when I'm up at CMU again. It might even be next week, although I'm not sure yet. Hope your having fun, man.