Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Mario RPG Impressions Part 1

So I'm really enjoying Mario RPG so far. I can tell you, however, that it's very odd coming from playing all of the later Mario RPG games (Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door, Mario & Luigi Partners in Time, and Super Paper Mario) to this one.

I can see how Mario RPG influenced those games, though. As different as Mario RPG is from the others, the roots are there. The timed button presses, the witty dialogue, goofy situations, wierd minigames, and Mario character staples are all there.

But, Square's interpretation of the Mario RPG is much harder than the later games. I mean, this game is not too difficult (well, at least so far... I guess I'm only one star in), whereas the other games were pretty much a cakewalk. And as far as the humor so far goes, Superstar Saga is still the winner (really, for me, that's one of the funniest games of all time, all because of this guy. I can't get enough of him).

But I am still very happy with my purchase. Yes, it is partly because I own a game I've wanted for a while and it is one of the more moderately expensive SNES games, but it's also because I love the Mario RPG games and I want to play through the original.

I think I'm about to get Geno, which is cool, because people on the internet seem to love him, and I know nothing about him. I guess we'll see.

(Click here to read my first Mario RPG article)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you understand why I loved that game sooo much, and have been waiting years to play it again. I loved Geno, Mallow is only meh, and yes, the game is definitely a bit more difficult than the later ones. I got about 6 stars in I think, then lost it...c'mon Nintendo, put it on the VC already!

Nate said...

I forgot that you weren't able to finish it. That sucks, man. Yeah, I was really happy I got it, though. Two Game Boy Colors I would never use for Mario RPG? That is a sweet deal. But yeah, once exams are over, I'll play more of it. Hell, you could even watch me if you wanted to (watch me play Mario RPG, that is)...